Thursday 14 June 2012

REVIEW: Dreamless (Starcrossed #2) by Josephine Angelini

Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2) 
Author: Josephine Angelini
Series: Starcrossed
Pages: 487
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: HarperTeen
Amazon: Dreamless

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Can true love be forgotten?

As the only Scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out—a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies’ cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen’s sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.

Josephine Angelini’s compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding as an unforgettable love triangle emerges and the eternal cycle of revenge intensifies. Eagerly awaited, this sequel to the internationally bestselling STARCROSSED delivers a gritty, action-packed love story that exceeds expectation.

REVIEW: 5 out of 5 stars

This reviews contains spoilers from Starcrossed

Wow! If there was ever a time where I was really anxious to get hold of the next book in a series it would be after reading Dreamless, the second book in the Starcrossed trilogy by the amazing Josephine Angelini.

I was completely devastated at the end of Starcrossed, I adored Helen and Lucas as a couple and to find out they were possibly cousins left me utterly heartbroken.

In Dreamless, Helen Hamilton has been tasked with descending nightly into the underworld to end the cycle of vengeance by defeating the furies and freeing the scions from their influence. It leaves her fatigued and drained but she is determined in her quest.

Orion Evander, Head of the House of Rome, Heir to the House of Athens and also a Rogue Scion is also able to descend into the underworld and becomes more or less Helen’s protector; he was charming, witty and smart but unfortunately he wasn’t the amazingly gorgeous Lucas Delos and I couldn’t fully connect with the growing relationship between him and Helen. He did play an integral role in this story which I appreciated and I think there is a lot more we are yet to find out about him.

Dreamless keeps you on the edge of your seat; there is mystery, drama and ongoing action that has you glued to the pages needing to know what is going to happen next and the twists and turns were aplenty. Helen is learning along the way and is conscious of the decisions and mistakes she is making, she grew as a character and is understanding more about her purpose.

I was heartbroken for poor Lucas, his love for Helen is so strong and evident that he was willing to do anything to protect her; he went through some pretty big changes in this book – not necessarily good but his dedication to Helen never faltered.

I am not a love triangle fan at all, I have in my mind who I want Helen with and I hope Helen’s mother Daphne reveals the truth in the next book but I give kudos to Ms Angelini for writing two amazing love interests and a romance that didn’t take away from the main story, but it certainly enhanced it.

Each of the characters in this series comes to life, villains included. I adore the bond Helen shares with all of them, I was saddened by what Hector and the Delos family were going through, I loved how Claire and Matt played a strong part in helping Helen along in her quest and we also got to find out a lot more about the Gods, demigods, furies and something known as a myrmidon who gave me the creeps.

The plot is absolutely amazing! Dreamless is a well-crafted, intense and gripping read. The vivid detail and the imagery leave you breathless. Ms Angelini’s writing is brilliant and the mythology written to perfection.

The only gripe I have is the wait I now have until the release of the third book in the series, Goddess which has an anticipated 2013 release date. 


2 comments:

  1. I LOVED Starcrossed!! I just read it recently and I really need to get a copy of Dreamless! It's good to know the second one is good too! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know i really need to read dremless

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)